Coming Up for Air…

Tuesday, July 5th, 2011

And Getting a Mouthful of Mud.

It’s been quite awhile since I’ve posted. It doesn’t seem like it’s been so long, but someone pointed out that it’s been six weeks. Six weeks seems to be about when someone starts to inquire about the status of my well-being, be that alive or dead. Welp, I am indeed alive! Generally speaking, this is good news, particularly to the cats, who enjoy being fed on a regular basis, although my stand-in does admirably when I’m not around.

Let’s see, since the end of May, I have been back to Pennsylvania twice. The first time was to watch my eldest niece graduate (I swear the skin on my hands withered just a bit as I typed that!). I’m not sure if it is for the sake of momentum, or simply to get out of the house, but she has already moved into a dorm and begun college classes. Either way, smart kid.

Mom and Dad seem to be doing well. Things have at least reached an equilibrium there. Mom is not well enough to be doing major tasks, but she can be up and about, and that does wonders for her spirits. Eases my mind as well.

Anthrocon has come and gone. None of my pieces in the art show sold, but a few people bought the mini prints I had available at the table. For the first time, Phil and I bought work from the show. A tea set, a couple of prints, and a Christmas ornament that looks like Gwynn. Especially in terms of shape: round. I also picked up a copy of _The Last Unicorn_ and had it signed by Mr. Beagle, whom I must report is a sweet fellow. With my first earnings, I went to his table, picked up the book for signing, and then we chatted at some length about life in and around the Silicon Valley and, before we knew it, the empty queue had filled with a line of people waiting to have their book signed. I excused myself before becoming too much of a fangirl and hustled back to my table with my prize! I got the opportunity to chat with him again later in the weekend at a party where I asked him what he thought of the convention,

“I have been to many conventions and nothing can compare to this.”

He went on about how he felt like such a celebrity. That, never mind the limo, you never knew what sort of place you’d be rooming in and, well! The Westin! And he’d been so happy to meet so many fans he didn’t know he had and see such amazing costumes and things. I think I recall the words “blown away” used in there.

This is, to me, what makes being a guest at a smaller convention (Small compared to say, San Diego Comic Con or one of the big anime conventions. Anthrocon’s numbers continue to grow. This year there were just over 4,400 people in attendance.) such and honor, and so very worth being. When you’re a guest (usually one of two, or three), at a smaller con, you get the royal treatment and people come to see you. They come to see you and you can really connect with them, because it’s not so crowded and rushed and overwhelming. It’s easy to be lost in the crowd as a guest at a larger con. It’s easy to become overwhelmed and exhausted, physically and mentally. I’m by no means knocking the larger cons, they’re amazing if you pace yourself, but it’s not the warm fuzzy you get from a good-sized small con.

Before he left the party, I gave him one of my hand-drawn business cards with my name and email address on it. He seemed thrilled to have it and indicated that our paths will quite likely cross again. I certainly hope so.

It is perhaps that good feeling that lasted well into the next day that softened a few blows that were to immediately follow. Not the least of which was finding out that our landlord had decided to put our current residence up for sale.

This is what I get for saying things like, “This side of the valley sucks, ” and “It sure would be nice to be near stuff again.” Yes, I was done with the East Side, but I wasn’t ready to drop everything and go house-hunting and move quite right now! Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. In spades. Wrapped nicely around the business end of a hammer. And for the better part of a week, Phil and I were still out of town and otherwise occupied. Our hands tied and relying upon those at home to tell us what was going on.

Granted, it’s not RIGHT NOW, Right Now. It’s uncertain, really. The house went on the market on the 2nd of this month and the very first people to look came the next day. With no notice. Needless to say, we weren’t entirely prepared. Things were not as clean as they could be. People were in their rooms in various states of dress and had to be told “Someone you don’t know will be traipsing through your room in a few minutes!” At the end of their walk-though, their agent gave us her card, told us to contact the landlord’s agent, and have the house number put on the listing. Oh, and that they wouldn’t be back. “This house is too much work for them.” (Young couple, new baby.)

A quick call was placed the the landlord’s agent, the phone number was added, a second showing that was scheduled never happened.

If we were not being given $500 credit on our monthly rent, I assure you, we would have agreed to be present in the landlord’s stead for showings. It’s also added security for us to be here.

Oh, goodie. I hear him outside now. Cutting this short. More later.

Leave a Reply